Just have to share this. After Jemarie and I both ruined making soup on Sunday and used up all the groceries we bought the day before. Desperately hungry we looked around and saw a bowl full of freshly picked tomatoes…. in agreement, PASTA. We made tomato sauce with what we had: grapeseed oil, garlic, dried red peppers, dried herbs, lemons, and tomatoes.
There are no exacts, that is how easy this is. I am guess-timating the amount…Recipe below:
- Pour a little grapeseed oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Use whatever oil is in the cabinet.
- Chop up 4 cloves of garlic. Toss in.
- Throw in 2 tsp. of dried red peppers and add your favorite Italian herbs.
- Dice a lot of tomatoes. I used between 11-13.
- Bring to a simmer and squeeze half a lemon into the sauce.
- Cover, bring down to low and forget about it. Stir every now and then.
We seriously watched a football game and stirred during commercials. It is by far the best pasta sauce I have ever had in my life. It had no cheese, no dairy. After the game we mixed it with noodles cooked with olive oil and seasoned with salt/pepper, then topped it with fried sweet potatoes. Life. So good, we made it the following Monday. ❤